Just an update.  After resetting and then rebooting, artsd
no longer seems to crash anymore.

HOWEVER, now there is *no sound* when I play xmms.
Under KDE, the controls indicate that the song is
being played, while under GNOME, you don't even
get that!

What the @#$!@ is going on??  I was fiddling with
the Sound Server settings because my sound quality
was so crappy.  As I said, it was fine a few weeks
ago.

Please help!

Paul
---