Jose Luis Vazquez Gonzalez wrote:
> The point here is, if Linux wants to make it on the desktop and on
> embedded appliances (with builtin screens) it should start to think
> about getting rid of the old and heavy XWindows.

<snip>

> XWindows was designed for terminals connected to mainframes on slow
> networks. Desktop linux boxes don't need that,and Linux in general does
> not need that on 95% of the cases I guess and still has to go through
> the Xprotocol bottleneck between the Xclients and the Xserver even on a
> single PC installation.
>
> My point is...
>
> Isn't this time for renewing the display basement on Linux?

I agree with you (except maybe on some minor points -- I'm not sure X
ever worked well for terminals connected to mainframes on *slow*
networks -- AFAIK, it always needed considerable bandwidth).  I used to
work on process control systems, and would always opt for something
other than X that passed only the data from the minicomputer to the
terminal -- let the terminal handle the graphics part.  (At one time,
IDT terminals worked that way (not sure they still do, or that they even
exist anymore.)

Anyway, my points were to:
   1. assure you that are not alone
   2. mention Berlin as the X Window alternative that I'm hoping will
improve things.

See these:
   * http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/08/31/208234&mode=nested (old
link, hope it's still good)
   * http://www.linuxtoday.com.au/r/article/jsp/sid/805730

Darn, I can't find the Berlin home page -- I hope it's not gone (I just
did a brief search).

Berlin has changed focus a few times -- I hope it's still on the right
path.

Randy Kramer