On Sun, 2002-01-20 at 22:22, Jim Dawson wrote:
> Personally, I'm not to optimistic that a viable replacment for X is
> going to happen anytime soon. Sure, X has it's warts but it works well
> enough for most applications that developing an alternative isn't too
> high a priority. And besides, any alternative display system will need
> to have an 'X' compatability layer to run existing software, which will
> make it even slower than X displays.

If I understand correctly, one of the things that makes X use more
memory and run slower is that it is a network application, and as such,
must run all of its requests through the local loopback on your
workstation (X is both a client-server protocol and software suite).

This being the case, couldn't someone write a "localhost-only" version
of X that emulates the networking protocols without actually doing
anything through the loopback device, and only runs on a local
workstation? This would provide backwards compatibility with all X
software, but would remove the network code and functionality that takes
memory, processing power, and resources that could be better used
elsewhere.

Just a thought. Maybe someone can rip a few holes in my theory to prove
me wrong.

Dave
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and good
with ketchup.