When I was installing this system i had numerous problems.

It stems from the amd chipset support in the kernel for DMA *i think*
Tyan were very unhelpful, and did not provide any solutions that worked.

the problem I had was that IDE CDROMS did not work, and SCSI cdroms
crashed half way through installation, and did not detect drives correctly.

I changed the adaptec scsi card to an unbranded one and managed to
install on a SCSI HD, so i have a 40GB IDE just sitting unused now.

Several People on the kernel list were very helpful, I hope someone from
tyan is on this list, they have not proffited from any good PR out of
their poor support of this board I perchased.

I have a TigerMP but i suspect its the same problem if its amd760MP chipset.

try chaning scsi cards, or install over LAN to IDE, (but fast dma is not
supported) hdparm /dev/hda

JG