----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Parish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "expert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 1:49 AM
Subject: Re: [expert] Strange behavior of a tulip clone NIC

This is a response to the "system doesn't boot any more" part:

If you downloaded ALL the updates available, you will have updated the
kernel which is more or less certain to screw your system up.  For
future reference, don't use update for the kernel.  Download it and use:

rpm -ivh

to install it alongside your existing kernel.  I don't know why mandrake
insist on putting the kernel in the same bin as all the other security
updates, thereby inviting people to trash their systems, but they keep
on doing it.

Brian
--------------------------------

Hello
Thank you very much for this tip. You are right: this is the way I screwed
my system up. At least, I've learned something ;-)
I think there was an update for the glibc, too. Could such an upgrade be a
problem too ?
By the way: I have a geforce2 card, which I used with the kernel module from
Nvidia. Upgrading the kernel with rpm -ivh should have kept this clean, or
it could bring me other problems ?
Regards
François