I have wondered but then dismissed this.  My new, fresh reinstall of 8.1 (6th
or 7th time in 3 days) properly recognizes and uses my 3c589 card...after I
dumped the default dhcpcd install and replaced it with
dhcp-common/dhcp-client rpms, that is.  The big stopper now is STILL sound.
I had perfectly working sound before this whole mess (started and caused
repeatedly with attempts to use or build ANY form of 2.4.17 kernel) when I
had a nice, self-built 2.4.13 kernel.  I WANT IT BACK!!

Know where I can find the kernel-source for the Mandrake 2.4.13 kernel?  It
worked beautifully...I had simply hoped (wrongly it turns out) that 2.4.17
would be improved even more.  Boy was I wrong on that.  That is the most
miserably broken kernel I've ever had the displeasure to mess with.  Even if
you install the precompiled binary it doesn't work...and it even produces
unknown symbol messages for two of its own modules (minix.o and sysv.o)!  To
add insult to injury, it doesn't even recognize that it has its own pcmcia
modules like i82365 and ds.  They are CLEARLY extant right where they are
supposed to be but the kernel complains that they do not exist when trying to
start pcmcia!  Gee-aaw!   Building it myself in various ways didn't fix the
minix.o and sysv.o symbol problem and it certainly didn't do jack for pcmcia
or sound.

The whole reason I have been wanting to get past the 2.4.8-26mdk 8.1 kernel
is because it doesn't work with my soundcard...a simple, old, never-changing
ess solo1.  This worked with with all the 2.2.x kernels and with 2.4.13, just
not with 2.4.8 or 2.4.17.

I'm getting real irate about the whole damn thing after dicking with this and
that, trashing my system totally (the 2.4.17 kernels in any form installed on
my system broke it so badly that it was easier to reinstall from scratch than
to try to untangle the mess.

praedor