From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 8:12 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] Single floppy with frame buffer, nano-X, and rwin
RDP client to boot diskless computer

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Joe L. Casale wrote:

> Has anyone ever made one of these, or know how to:
> 1) pass vga=791 to kernel without using lilo?
> I don't think I will be able to fit a slim kernel, and the binaries
> along with a root fs one floppy if I have to add lilo!
> I am very new to Linux, and know nothing, but have this daunting task,
> and its proving a big learning curve.

rdev should be able to do it.

You probably already know this, but there's an application called
busybox that you can use to minimize the size of applications. It's an
all-in-one binary that provides shell, network, fs utils, etc.. If you
build it against a minimal glibc it can make a small image. I've not
gotten it to floppy sized yet, but it works well of disk-on-chip
devices.