Hehe.  I have an ESS Solo1 and was having the very same problem.  In my
case, the only way to get it working at all was to build sound support
and the ess solo1 (oss) driver into the kernel.  THEN I was running
into the "cup overload" thing.  What I did, by trial and error (I tried
just about everything else and by process of elimination and
desperation...), was go into kcontrol -> sound-> mixer and set the
max number of probed mixers and max numbers of devices each to 1.
Since doing this I have not run into the cpu overload problem.

Incidently, if you open up kcontrol after the message appears and
restart the soundserver, it comes back up until something gets it all
crazy again later and the cpu overload message reappears.  Anyway, try
what I mention above - perhaps your problem will go away as did mine.

praedor