Randy Kramer wrote:

> I would like Mandrake 8.2 to be the "perfected" version of 8.0 / 8.1,
> and would rather not have very much in the way of new stuff that might
> cause problems.  I was not successful in installing Mandrake 8.0, and
> only partially successful with 8.1.  The advantanges of having a very
> stable 8.2 would be that I can replace my Mandrake 7.2 installations
> (hopefully) with something that is just as stable, but uses the things
> (which I won't state correctly) like rpms beyond version 3, and glibc
> (2?), and whatever else it takes so that I can successfully use current
> rpms to upgrade software.  Then, hopefully, ugrading from, for example
> kde 2.2.1 or whatever to 3.0 would be more straightforward.
>
> I just don't want my desires drowned out by people clamoring for kde
> 3.0.  Mandrake need to strike a balance.  "Traditionally", the .2
> release has been much better (more stable, reliable, something) than the
> .0 or .1 release.  At least, this is what I found with 7.0, 7.1, and 7.2
> -- based on my experiences with 8.0 and 8.1, there is certainly room for
> 8.2 to be "better".
>
> Randy Kramer

Hello Randy,
I couldn't agree more. My MDK 7.2 cd's are still rated among my most
valuable. And while i personally never had a major problem with MDK
8.1, I would like to see a good, rock solid stable 8.2.

MDK 7.2 has really done a lot to shift the focus away from RH, over
here in Goa. Since Linux is somewhat in it's infancy stage over here
not many gurus to help, though our local LUG is catching on. while RH
6.2 would choke on the 810 mobo's MDK 7.2 installed like a charm,
autodetected most hardware and was a pleasure to work with. That's
what got me hooked as well as a lot of other people over here.

A linux box is more than just the kernal and desktop.

my 2 paise worth,
Regards,
mario