Hi,

I've searched the usenet-archives for this extensively and came up with about a
million
posts, but none of them gave me a clear view on this.
The question is pretty simple:

Can I install Mandrake on an existing IDE hardware raid(0)-array which has windows
2000
already installed?

I'm thinking it can't be done (yet). I have no experience with raid-setups myself, as
I am
asking this for a friend who recently bought a fancy new PC and I convinced him that
he
should install Linux so he can see how great it is :)
I am no newbie, so it would not be a problem to compile a new kernel or stuff like
that.
I tried to boot from the Mandrake 8.0 CD, but although it did nicely detect the
Promise
ATA100-RAID chipset, it could not handle/detect the raid-array. I am now downloading
the
MDK 8.1 ISOs, but I thought i would ask this first before I screw up this guy's disks
:)
The most common advise I found, was to use software-raid.
Would it be possible to install windows and linux and tell them both to do
software-raid
(on the same disks)?

Any pointers/help would be greatly appreciated.

best regards,

Leander Koorneef