Hello,

  I am running 2 machines with crossed NFS mounts : machine A mounts
disks of machine B and vice versa. The mounts use default nfs options.
I could never  find a clean way to shutdown the machines : the shutdown
hangs when trying to umount all disks because some are still busy. The
busy ones are remote disks for which the server is already down. Contrarily
to the documentation, "umount -f" does not help: I get
umount: Cannot MOUNTPROG RPC: RPC: unregistered program.
What makes the problem rather serious is that local
disks don't get umounted.

  The problem does not seem to be bound to a specific version
of the kernel or other components, it seems to be a matter
of doing things in the right order, which I could not find.
The constraint is that the shutdown procedure should work
wether the other machine is still on or not.
Is there a way to force the umount of remote disks if the server
cannot be reached any longer?
Would anyone have a clue on how to deal with this situation?

  I have been advised to use autofs rather than nfs. It is not
clear form the documentation that it would solve the problem:
"busy" filesystems do not get umounted by autofs. And what about
performances? is autofs an actual replacement of NFS?

  Thanks a lot

Pierre Astier.

--

Pierre Astier , LPNHE, 4 place Jussieu F 75252 Paris Cedex 05