On Monday 04 February 2002 07:36 am, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's generally not a good idea to use the low level formatting feature of
> some system board bioses.  You might lose the factory skew settings put on
> your disk at the factory when they did the factory low level format.  The
> system board bioses I have seen do not call the proprietary factory format
> routines on the hard disk; at least not the ones that I have seen.  And
> I've seen a few.
>
> Sesame Galeo recommended a debug routine.  If that works, it's the best
> way, because that command sequence is routing you to the hard drive's
> formatting routine in it's firmware.

 I don't think debug will work with the IDE or ATAPI drives, will it?
As far as I remember, the format stuff for debug was designed for MFM and RLL
drives usually found in 286 or older systems..
I could be way off base here as I haven't used that command for nearly 8
years <G>....
The absolute best way is to use the utility from the mfgr because it is
designed to work with the proper size and series of drive you have.