Well...at least I don't feel as alone in this situation as I did before.

The only thing I know to do is to install a breakout box in the normal serial
line with the external modem, and record what's going on with the lights.
Then, attach the breakout box to the USB serial interface and hook the modem
up to that, noting the differences.

Have you tried that?  Or is your modem the type that connects directly to the
USB bus?