Hi folks, I have a head scratcher.

  My fiance's machine will not play sounds in Mandrake 8.x.  Sound works fine
in Windows.  Sound worked fine in Mandrake 7.2, same hardware.

  If I install Mandrake 8.x (tried the beta of 8.2 this past weekend), the
install goes fine.  It'll boot into her account but throw an error screen
saying that "/dev/dsp" does not exist.  I log in as root and find that
/dev/dsp does indeed exist.   As root, if I try to play a sound file (eg.
"play /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav"), I get "you do not have permission".

  The sound drivers are loading and I hear a tick from the speakers during
booting as the init script loads the sound system.  But I cannot get any
further sound whatsoever in Linux.

  The card is a Gallant SC-70, which uses the CS4237 chip.  This specific
card does work in Linux, as Jaroslav Kysela produced ALSA support for this
card at my request.  There is no sound from Linux whether the kernel drivers
or ALSA drivers are used.

  The motherboard is an Asus CUV4X with a Celeron 500.

   My fiance would really like to run Linux but has reverted to Windows due
to my inability to get sound working in Linux on her machine.

   Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this?

--
Cheers,
Rob