At the risk of bringing up a tired topic...

Why do fonts behave so strangely in Mandrake 8.1, such as in KDE apps?
Simply put, the font pull-down menu is full of typefaces, but I
highlight some text and select something new, nothing happens to the
text. Except once in a while; a few fonts will display on the KWord work
area (they appear fine in the menu or KDE Character Map) but mostly it
just sits as helvetica or times.

It gets weirder if I choose to turn on anti-aliasing. Then my font
selection list reduces dramatically, and the appearance goes way wrong.

Is there an FAQ on getting fonts to look good in MDK? It seems I'm
always fighting with it soon after a build to get Konqueror, Netscape,
or whatever to look good. Netscape drove me crazy until I removed the
Mozilla font family and it (magically) started looking right. Another
time I gave up and rebuilt Mandrake from scratch because the X Font
Server suddenly decided it wouldn't start anymore.

-- j