I'm not sure if it would be helpful to mention this here as well, but I
believe I've found a bug in the standard PS/2 wheel mouse driver.

I have done this on numerous hardware platforms and it does the same on all.
The only common thread here I believe is I'm using Microsoft wheel mouse.
Currently I'm testing with a PS/2 Intellimouse.

During Mandrake installation if you select a standard PS/2 wheel mouse it is
fine until reboot after installation is complete. Then the mouse doesn't work
and it goes crazy. Jumping all over and causing erratic behavior. If I
install using just the standard PS/2 mouse driver then it works fine after
reboot. Then I can go into Hard drake and change it to a wheel mouse and all
is fine. This has been this way all the way back into mandrake 7x days.

I am using a Belkin KVM switch at work and I have discovered that switching
from the linux box and back again, causes the same behavior. the mouse cursor
drops to the lower left corner and goes crazy when you move the mouse. I have
found that if I do a CTRL-ALT-F1, and then ALT-F7 the mouse driver is fine. I
believe the two incidents are related but I don't know what is causing it.

The reason I bring this up is that I have seen many many complaints about
mouse driver problems and I suspect it may be related.

Just my 2 cents worth.