When I've had bizarre/obscure kde problems that I have
been unable to fix, from blackbox (or CLI) I:

delete ~/.kde (AFTER copying my addressbook.kab and
bookmarks.xml to my home directory), delete all
instances of .DCOP* in my home directory.  Delete all
my /tmp entries (as user, just do "rm -rf /tmp/* and
you will delete those things that belong to you), and
I also delete my .mcop file.

Upon logging back in to KDE, it starts from the
beginning so you have to setup everything again
(theme, colors, fonts, email account, unique kpanel
settings, etc).  Copy your bookmarks.xml over the
default konqueror bookmarks.xml.  As for the
addressbook.kab, after opening up kmail again, I click
on the addressbook which then goes through the initial
steps of setting up your addressbook.kab.  Copy your
saved addressbook.kab over the default/new  (I think
it is in .kde/share/kab).

This has usually cleared up any obscure problems I
might have been having