Andrew,
   (great name .... called my son that too *grin*)  I'm using an Asus
Cd-RW burner and have had 0 problems with it.  It worked straight up with
my 8.1 install no hassles.  The best part is that it is under 100 bucks.
My model number is CRW-1610A.  My setup is a Celery 950 256megs ram and of
course Mandrake 8.1 The only thing I had to do was make sure Kudzu was
running before I booted the first time and voila. It worked.

James