I found that all I needed on the client machines was to make sure
/etc/resolv.conf contained:

search bigfoot.com.au
nameserver 192.189.54.37
nameserver 192.168.0.1

In my case these are respectively the domain of my ISP, my ISP's primary
DNS, and of course the gateway machine's address.

That was the extent of my network setup on the client.

HTH
Brian