BV> Hi all,

BV> I am using Linux Mandrake 8.1 on an Athlon 1400 System with an NVidia
BV> G-Force2MX Card which worked fine for several weeks with kernel 2.4.8-mdk.

BV> As I needed to get the Snapscan e40 usb Scanner working, I downloaded the
BV> standard Marcello kernel 2.4.17 from kernel.org and built it. After that I
BV> installed the NVidia kernel driver from their website to get 3d accel
BV> support under X11. Now suddenly I am encountering random crashes without
BV> any helpful logfile entries. The machine just passes away sometimes (or
BV> sometimes often), and yesterday it even crashed the file system, now the
BV> machine doesnt boot anymore.

BV> How can I find the reason for this? Is it the new kernel? The NVidia
BV> driver? Or some tricky hardware problem? I just wonder why it worked fine
BV> with the older kernel?!?!?

BV> Any help appreciated

BV> Bastian Voigt

 As you did not have trouble with the old kernel (which was buggy
 actually), installing a "plain kernel" from kernel.org is most
 probably the reason. Ok it is not totally plain, but it is not mdk
 either.

 I suggest you use a kernel from the cooker. You will need to update e
 few packages (iptables, initscripts and maybe a few more), but the
 cooker ones seem fine.

 IIRC, there is an AGP issue with amd systems (but dont remember which
 ones) . You can check the mail list archives, it was discussed here
 too. This may be your issue

 Regards,
 Onur Kucuk