Hi again all,

In a recent post I described the issues I was having
with reinstalling a system and trying (in vain) to
recover the user and group db from backup. I gave up
on that attempt and reinstalled again (ugh). I went
through the process of re-adding each individual and
group account by hand from the command line using
adduser, usermod, and passwd to avoid my previous
mess. Now I'm getting the following errors.

When I log into my account - ken - it reads
id: cannot find name for group ID: 529

when I type 'groups ken' it reads:

id: cannot find name for group ID 529
529 id: cannot find name for group ID 0
0 id: cannot find name for group ID 517
517 id: cannot find name for group ID 520
520 id: cannot find name for group ID 521
521 id: cannot find name for group ID 522
522 id: cannot find name for group ID 526
526 id: cannot find name for group ID 514
514

However, if I su to root and type 'groups ken' it
reads correctly like so:

ken : ken root adminonly stewards exec members ntadmin
tester

Just to be thorough, here are the respective entries
from passwd, group, and shadow plus the file perms for
my /home dir

passwd: ken:x:527:529::/home/ken:/bin/bash
group: ken:x:529:
shadow: ken:(passwd
hash):11744:0:99999:7:-1:-1:1073871134
'ls -l /home':
drwx------   15 ken      ken          4096 Feb 21
20:49 ken/

As you can see, each respective group name gives an
error to my account. I'm completely baffled. This is
occuring AFTER i went through the process of manually
removing my account. I edited
/etc/group,shadow,gshadow,and passwd and removed
myself. Then I used adduser and passwd to reestablish
the account (with a new user and group id) Then I su
to root and usermod -G to add the groups. This all
went without errors. Then I exit su and type groups
ken, it gives the correct results. I then log out and
back in. Voila! The error returns as described above.
Oh also, if I reboot the system (we had a power
failure so I got to find this out yesterday) I have to
reestablish groups for every account. The system comes
back up with bare minimum groups for each user (ie
each user is listed as belonging only to the group
that bears their own name).

This is a Mandrake 8.1 system. I'm completely baffled
as to why this would be happening. Perhaps the system
auth is referencing some other file containing some
errors that is causing it to repeat those same errors
no matter what I do with the ken account or the
groups. How do I fix this?

This brings me to my second question. Does anyone know
of a way I can create a replicateable and/or
distributable system auth database? What I mean is, an
auth database that I would be able to install in
another system (or a reinstalled system) using the
same auth method thus having all the group and user
accounts set up already? I have been reading into PAM
and LDAP but can't find this kind of information. Or
perhaps there is another authentication system that
would work, NIS maybe?

Or, if no one out there has an answer for that last
question, what do you sys admins do when you have a
system that needs to be reinstalled with 3,000 user
accounts? 100 accounts? There must be a way to deal
with this issue without manually adding each account
all over again with a temp password that must be
changed. If there isn't a way, how the hell do you
guys deal with this? Hard drugs or liqour? My
cigarette habit is already maxed out.

Thanks for any help,

Ken Nowack