I have a laptop from Dell (Inspiron 4100).  It has a PS/2 port on the
back to connect an external mouse or keyboard. I've been trying to do
so, but every time it results in the mouse driver dying.

More precisely: I have the laptop running and get mouse events on
/dev/psaux from the built-in touch pad.  As soon, as I connect either
an external mouse or an external keyboard through the PS/2 port, I
stop getting input on /dev/psaux. Even when removing the external
device, the mouse does not come back.

Does anybody have a clue to what is happening or an idea to work
around it.

Thanks

/Peter
--
http://www.linearity.org/turtle/contact.html
``When you have had all the experiences, met all the famous people,