Laurentiu Grigoriu wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm using Mandrake 8.1.
>
> My problem is:
> There is a task entitled "KDE Media Player" always running at startup.
> Because of this any other sound-card-related task cannot run because
> the sound card is busy.
>

> How can I remove "KDE Media Player" task from startup ?
> Which is the name of the executable named "KDE Media Player" ?

I suspect you should run only programs that can oputput sound to arts
(the sound daemon used by KDE).
I think it is possible to stop arts in control center. After stopping
the arts daemon you should be able to use your sound card directly by
another program.
Another alternative is to use artswrapper. If you are lucky you get some
sound with it. But it's likely it crashes.