Alan Wilter Sousa da Silva wrote:

>Hi List,
>
>       I'm having an annoying trouble.  I log from a remote machine via
>ssh to a Linux box (MDK or RedHat), and start a job that it'll take days
>computing and when I logoff (via 'exit', 'logout', whatever), log hangs,
>not closing ssh connection and thus not releasing the console from where I
>start the login. If I log, run whatever I want but all finished before I
>logout, it's OK.  If I log (all via ssh) to a SGI machine this problem
>doesn't happen.  So I'm concluding it must be a problem in SSHD for Linux
>(a configuration problem?).
>
>The SSH versions:
>MDK:   openssh-server-2.5.2p2-3mdk
>Redhat:        openssh-2.5.2p2-5
>SGI:   SSH Version 2.0.13

Does your job use X? If so it may be using forwarded X connection. You
may use
$ ssh -f yourjob
to start the job (if you know the command exactly in advance).
If it does not use X or any other forwarded connections it may still use
the stdin/stdout.
try
$ ssh yourserver
server$ nohup yourjob
server$ exit
$ <ssh session should have terminated by now>
you may try ssh -f in this case as well

Hope it helps