Hi together ,

I've an (very) old SCSI streamer and a bundle of QIC 24 tapes and forgotten how to get
it running with *nix
I've never thought that I must get some data out of them =:(

it has to run with an AHA1542.

the system recognized  the SCSI Controller as seen at
/proc/scsi/aha1542
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root            0 Mar  9 23:15 .
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root            0 Mar  9 23:12 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Mar  9 23:17 0

with "less  0 "  I get
The driver does not yet support the proc-fs

the device is recognized at
/proc/scsi/scsi

with "less scsi" I get
Attached devices:
 Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
  Vendor:          Model:                  Rev:
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 01

thats that . now I tried to test it with
tar -cf /dev/nst0 <directory>
tar -cf /dev/nst1 <directory>

these are the only 2 (n)st* devices I found at /dev/

It's the same for taking the no or the rewind device: the Error msg is always the same
:
tar :  /dev/nst0: Cannot open: Read-only file system

now my questions:
st0 and st1 defines tapes jumpered as device ID 0 and 1 ?
what about the LUN ?
do I have to create a device for the scsi ID 4?   ( It's an very old device with an
external EMULEX SCSI Controller only
for the Wangtek streamer itself)

if so, how is it done?

How can I touch this damn drive ?