Hari Yellina wrote:
>  I am just wondering , why u guys are using mandrake over other linux flavour
> . Can u guys tell me the advantages,

I'm sure the answer varies.  For me, I started Linux with a succesful
install of Caldera 2.2, then collected 10 or so distributions from my
local LUG, and tried to install them.  Some installed fairly easily,
some did not.  IIRC, Caldera included kde and gnome (early versions),
and kde just looked more "crisp" and readable.  GNOME looked fuzzy and
dark, so one criteria became something easy to install with an
up-to=date kde.  Mandrake 7.2 fit the bill for a while, then with the
MandrakeFreq update to use kde 2.1.  (I had tried to update kde using
rpms, but it was just more than I could handle at that particular time.)

Decided I'd try to update with Mandrake 8.0 and 8.1, had troubles with
both -- finally got Mandrake 8.1 fairly well installed on a new computer
(which helped because of more memory, but hurt because of the hardware I
chose (I think) -- a Matsonic MS8308EP motherboard with built in sound,
video, NIC.  I think the video is the problem, but I've never even tried
to make sound work.

At this point, Mandrake is a "habit".  I did try RedHat 7.2 not too long
ago, with lesser results than the Mandrake install.  I'd be tempted to
try SuSe next time I get a chance.  People keep recommending Slackware
to me, but I'm looking for more of the "install and go" type thing
rather than play with the install.  I think Debian's apt get feature
sounds good, but in my brief tries, I did not get Debian installed.

YMMV.

Randy Kramer