As another noted, devfs is broken.  You could rebuild the kernel with devfs
set off OR you could blow off the rebuild and simply add the
"append = "devfs=nomount" " statement to your lilo file for each kernel
version and your devfs problems will go away.
  Kind of funny.  I have no real problems with devfs with the 2.4.8 kernel
but when I'ved tried any of the teens (2.4.13 on up to .18) devfs has been
totally wrecked.  It appears to be somewhat of a pain to get usb working
without devfs too, so that is more fun to toss into the mix.

praedor