On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 14:55, Hoyt wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> The server is replacing a quad Xeon SCO box used for a hospital. There are
> two networks and the hospital uses a thin-client topology, so network
> performance is important. The shared interrupts are compromising the
> networking performance. Or if those are working, the disk access is
> compromised. Neither is good.
>
> One solution may be to disable the onboard NIC and use a dual port NIC. If
> Tyan had not disabled the ability in the BIOS to allocate IRQ per slot, this
> would not be a problem. (Why would they do this on a server class mobo? They
> don't have a clue.)

Hoyt,

Tyan in the past has filled some large market gaps.  In the pentium 1
days, they were one of the few mobo manufacturers to offer a dual
processor mainboard. Between 1992 and 1998 I had a networking business,
and we offered the hardware and the networking expertise for
windows/Novell hybrid lans.  Prior to 1992 one of my jobs was mobo and
hardware eval for a local Computerland.  Later, for my customers we
standardized on tyan mobos; at that time they were the best.

However, as time rolled on, there were mobo manufacturers that emerged
as being more adaptable to the needs of the public.  For one thing, web
hardware sites emerged that actually tested and benchmarked the system
boards.  One thing that peeps really wanted was a way to overclock
processors.  As this practice took on more impetus, so did the engineers
designing the chipsets for these mobos.  For another thing, the chipsets
had to be extremely (and I mean REAL) fault tolerant. At first glance,
an overclocking mobo might seem like a non-server, more error prone
solution.  Actually that's backwards; the companies that were surviving
on the reputation that their boards were "Server boards", were actually
coasting and resting on their laurels.  In the meantime, companies like
Abit, Asus, FIC, Epox, and other Dr Tom roundup graduates were in
reality putting out infinitely more adaptable and robust product; far
exceeding the requirements for a "server board."

You can't lie to the hardware sites; they are going to test your stuff.
Even more to this degree, you cannot lie to Tom's Hardware; Dr Tom is
the supreme source for honest hardware advice.  I don't mean to be
telling anything that you are not already aware of;  I guess I'm putting
this down for anybody else that might be interested too.  Of late, I've
gotten away from the hardware aspect (thank God), but for old customers,
close friends and such I've basically standardized on Abit hardware.
(for now, unless they get shown up really bad, like Tyan did some years
back.)  My opinion regarding Tyan is that they really have not responded
to the bleeding edge users like they should have; and it's not a recent
thing either, it's been going on for a long time now.

There's no problem like a hardware problem.  And when you have a
hardware problem, there's no substitute for a tech like hands on access
to the system.

One final question.  Have you tried downloading an older version of the
bios and flashing it with that? One that is capable of handling the
IRQ's in a more intelligent way?  Also...the corollary to this is: does
your mobo as of right now have "the" most current bios version?  If not,
it may pay for you to go the other way as well to newer.  Just make sure
smartdrv.exe is not loaded in the boot process when you boot the dos
disk to flash the bios.  Or you could lose the system.