Hi All,

Before a get flamed bigtime from the 'Smoothwall' lists I would like to ask a DNS
question.

I have the lates version of Smoothwall GPL with all patches to date. My dial up is via
a modem which has been set to 'Dial on DNS requests' from the network. Now this works
ok to a point as when a browser on the network or 'fetchmaild' tries to get info the
modem does spring into life.

The problem is that for the DNS request that instigated the 'DialUp' request, as soon
as the modem connects, the DNS request fails.

This means that a browser will report 'unable to resolve', Postfix will queue the mail
for later retry, but if the connection is down, it will retry/connect and fail again
for DNS. The same problem happens on Fetchmail.

For fetchmail I have written a little wrapper that, pings an exernal IP and sleeps a
little before running the fetchmail command.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this little annoyance?

The remote machines all point to the smoothy box as Gateway and DNS server.

Thanks in advance.

David Stevenson

http://mail2web.com/ .