On 15 Mar 2002, Ashley Moore wrote:

> Hi guys,

Hi Ashley,

I have a SOHO setup, so I can try to help...

> after praising Linux and its virtues to a friend i met a couple of
> months ago, he has asked me to setup a website with 'some sort of
> redundancy' to host his shop.

Better get a handle on this one...  it's right up there with 'some sort of
security'...  A few years ago, an IT Director at a very large retailrer
asked me about securing his network; but didn't want to answer any
questions...  So...  I went to his whiteboard, drew a box representing his
network... then drew a padlock around the box...

"Redundancy" can range from a backup boot floppy to "dual <everything>"
including separate telco entrances to the building.  The fallacy is
thinking that *nothing* is a single point of failure...

Get this expectations nailed down before starting, or you'll find yourself
in a "never win" situation...

> I have to suggest a 'decent' server (semi-server) class m/c config. I

Not sure I fully grok this... more nebulosity...

> plan to install LM on it obviously. he currently has an old AMD-K6(will
> become firewall), and connected to the net via DSL. eventually, he plans

To date, I've been using a commercial firewall (LinkSys); but can NOT
recommend this solution at the moment because this vendor is having some
serious issues as can be seen at http://pfortin.com/Linux/LinkSys/

I chose this approach because I didn't want to spend any time messing with
ipchains, NAT, etc...  Nowadays, things have changed and given my LinkSys
issues, I'd go with a Linux f/w...

> to put together a small network with 3/4 computers, scanner, printer,
> etc. with about 5 users. i would like to take this opportunity to setup
> a secure private network with web, ftp, samba, NFS, NIS, Postfix, SANE,
> etc.(maybe even try to config a diskless node at a later date!)

Can't help with Samba since 2 years with that S**T OS resulted in a heart
attack (long story; don't ask...) which is why I have some subtle and
not-so-subtle anti-M$ stuff on my web site.

You can find out about my current setups:
postfix:  http://pfortin.com/Linux/PostFix/
web sites: http://pfortin.com/Linux/WWW/

I'm a avid ^H^H^H^H^H rabid spam and M$VTS fighter...  see my pages...
:^)

> keeping the above in mind, I have to start with a computer that will
> eventually function as the primary server for this minature network.
> I was thinking on the lines of a dual processor mobo, 512mb ram, scsi +
> raid 5. what about redundant powersupplies (does this require a 'special
> mobo?) and redundant network cards. or maybe even provide complete
> 'mirrored' computer.

I'd be interested in hearing what others do in this respect...  my WWW
setup is really easy to work with, test, publish; but I've just started
thinking about automated redundancy to a second system...

There's an issue with *automated* redundancy...  what if the master gets
corrupted?  Just watch the Cooker list comments about mirrors...

> I'm open to suggestions. if this mail is inappropriate for this list
> contact me directly.

I think it's appropriate for starters; but it may get too deep later...

I don't currently have time to write formal HOWTOs; but I try to find time
to document some of the more obscure stuff on my site so that I have
something to refer to at the next "install"...  speaking of which... sure
wish I could install the next major release (9.0?) on a *running*
system...  even that wish is on my site...

> cheers,

Just some thoughts and pointers; but this is a topic which needs better
documentation, etc...

HTH...  and hope it makes sense since I just got up and mornings are not
my best time...  :^)

Pierre