can you repory the dmesg output it generated?  with my cdwrter on as a ide-scsi it put
my LS-240 at /dev/scsi/host1/...  My dmesg
command tailed:

Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
   Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: LS-120/240    00  Rev: K048
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 2
USB Mass Storage support registered.
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sda: Write Protect is off
  /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0: p1

if the usb-storage driver don't work I think you will need a different driver or a
newer kernel.  Sorry.