On Wednesday 20 March 2002 10:53 am, JOHN HEMMER wrote:

> Anyways, if I leave my computer on constantly, it freezes
> after 20 hours or so, even running Linux; however, I can
> fix Linux by running fsck.
>
> As a result of all this I turn my computer off each night,
> so it usually only runs 16 to 18 hours a day. Doing this
> I don't seem to have problems, at least with Linux.
>
> After several years of repairing Minicomputer to the actual
> bad logic gate, I have no desired to do that again. So my
> question is can any recommend a good reliable fan, without
> getting into the engineering specs, that will let me run
> trouble free.

    There's no set answer John.  Major considerations are ambient
temp, where the box is physically located, and the wattage of heat
disapation your particular cpu is rated at.  For instance, my room
temp is always 75 to 80F, the case is burried under the table in a
kitchen booth, and I've got the hottest cpu AMD makes (1.4 Tbird, 75
watts), plus it's overclocked 11%. So the hest disapation has to be
way over 75 watts.

    To cope with this I use a full tower case that has the side cover
off. I've got a small square $10 low speed table fan blowing into the
box. I hung a $5 case fan directly in front of and blowing into the
cpu's heatsink/fan ($8 AMD aprv'd CoolerMaster), and onto the
motherboard's chipset (kt133a) heatsink/fan.  Under normal use the
probe reports mid 40's C. Cpuburn's 'burnK7' will only get it into
the low 50's C. Those temps are good to normal for an Athlon, not
overclocked.

    So IMO, no special fancy heatsinks an/or fans are needed, but you
must move a lot of air thru the case and have a reasonable room temp.
Holds true for cpu's >= 600mhz in my experience, specially AMD's.
Next thing right after overheating for causing freezes and lockups
after the system been up for some time, are poor to marginal power
supplies and/or motherboards. Specially if a cpu/cache/ram checker
like memtest86 checks out OK.  Ready mades (eg, Dell, Gateway,
Compaq, etc) are a whole 'nother deal.  They come brand new with poor
cooling and marginal motherboards and power supplies.
--
    Tom Brinkman                       Corpus Christi, Texas