I just installed MDK 8.2 on a empty partition of my computer.  I also
have 8.1 on a different partition.  Sound works fine under 8.1 (using
the default setup chosen by the installer).  The system I use has sound
built into the motherboard (MSI 845 Ultra) The MDK8.2 installer
indentifies my sound "card" as a C-Media electronics Inc. CM8738 (which
agrees with the motherboard documentation).

also, in case it matters, when I boot into MDK8.2 I get the follwoing
message at one point:

can't locate module fb.0

What does that mean?

In case it helps here is the
/etc/modules.conf file for MDK8.1 (the one that works):

alias net-pf-4 ipx
pre-install pcmcia_core CARDMGR_OPTS=-f /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
alias usb-interface usb-uhci
alias sound-slot-0 cmpci
probeall scsi_hostadapter dc395x_trm
alias eth0 8139too
alias scsi_hostadapter dc395x_trm

Under MDK8.2 I've tried /etc/modules.conf:
alias net-pf-4 ipx
alias usb-interface usb-uhci
alias sound-slot-0 cmpci
#alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-cmipci
probeall scsi_hostadapter dc395x_trm
alias eth0 8139too
#above snd-card-cmipci snd-pcm-oss
alias scsi_hostadapter dc395x_trm

as well as:

alias net-pf-4 ipx
alias usb-interface usb-uhci
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-cmipci
probeall scsi_hostadapter dc395x_trm
alias eth0 8139too
above snd-card-cmipci snd-pcm-oss
alias scsi_hostadapter dc395x_trm

I get no sound either way.  When I try to test sound server using the
Mandrake control center I get the message:

Sound server fatal error: cpu overload, aborting.

Does anybody have any ideas what to try next?