I thought some Mandrake users might be interested in this:

Last Thursday (3/15/02) our local Linux user group (http://www.flux.org)
had a speaker demonstrating how to setup a Beowulf. It was a small
cluster consisting of only three machines, but apparently could scale
without modification to 10 machines and with minor modifications to 16.
With the addition of more control machines it could scale to 255 nodes
or better.

All machines were running Mandrake 8.1 with all the latest patches (as
of 3/15). The kernels were the stock versions from the ftp updates and
no kernel rebuilds were necessary.

Setup was simple, and boiled down to doing everything that the security
HOWTO tells you not to do. I.e., you needed to allow passwordless root
access to the nodes in the cluster and enable permissive network access.
One machine with two NICs served as the master through which the cluster
could be managed and secured. This was a heterogenous cluster; i.e., all
the nodes had different hardware specs. This was cheaper, but there's
apparently a performance and overhead penalty for not using identical
machines.

I was lucky enough to have my machines used for the cluster and after
the presentation was over, I put them back on my network and added two
other machines. Now there's a 5 node cluster happily chugging away in my
bedroom :D. My wife has already made the appointment with the
psychiatrist.

The speaker, Dr. Raul Salazar of JHL Computing, told us that similar
setups have been used to design chips and do similar rocket scientist
stuff :).