Edvard Wikström wrote:

>Hello again,
>
>Civileme, I followed your suggestion I tried the memory test program. I don´t know
>what conclusion to make of it. It took it 50 min to finish and then it started again.
>I was expectiing a "status report" or a "summary". I didn´t  get any information
>about the memory health. Is this a normal behavior of the program?
>Back to my problem. I used the CD2 and selected the 2.2.14 kernel, it worked (I had
>to strugle a little with the partioning, it didn´t like my partioning strategy). I
>still have this strange problem though. When i boot the machine I got no conection
>with the screen, it is ofline during the startup.
>Only at the login when X starts I get the monitor and image back. I´m really amazed
>about what it wrong. Could it be the graphic card?
>
>/Edvard

Hmmm,

You have a Matrox?  Possibly it is being recognized as mainstream and is
instead Dell-Speciifc custom OEM order.  Dell and Compaq have been doing
little tweaks like that either to save money or to control aftermarket
or both, nd of course they were big enough to have custom OEM products
made to their specs.

Well, it is likely that....

1. The Matrox as a mainstream card _is_ a framebuffer capable device.

2. Yours is not.

3.  The default boot is a framebuffer kernel.

Do uou have another boot image labeled linux-nonfb?  You will need to
look at Boot Configuration in the Mandrake Control Center and see what
is set up, because if it is as I speculated, you could not see the boot
screen.  If you have a nonfb boot, use it and you will see the
traditional status plus green OK while it is booting.

On install, did it show three small bars (blue, yellow,white)  on the
lower right side of the screen for theme change or four smaller pastel
bars (two blue, one gray, and... )  and did the install packages section
simply show two bars with the names of the packages or did it rotate
through some graphics?  If it did the former case, then framebuffer was
not up and the graphic install was running VGA.  If it did the latter
and then the behavior on boot is as you described, we have a really
unique case to log.

Civileme