On 26 Mar 2002 00:43:42 +0100
Andreas Müller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> studiouisly spake these words to ponder:

> Hallo all,
>
> just installed LM 8.2 and wanted to use leafnode. xinetd is running and
> leafnode installed all right. But of course I cannot connect to
> leafnode. I do not have any idea about xinetd, because I always used
> inetd before. It seems that xinetd is preventing leafnode from running.
> Can anyone help me PLZ? Anyone running leafnode on LM 8.2?
>
> TIA

Andreas,

The following is assuming that you've already configured leafnode to run
through editing the /etc/leafnode/config file. Mine is attached if indeed
you haven't and you're wondering what it should look like.

If xinetd is running and leafnode is enabled then all is as it should be.
The next thing you want to check it to make sure that if you're running a
firewall, that port 119 is open and allowing traffic through. Next, open the
/etc/services file to check and make sure that the nntp line is "not"
commented out. That is the line that controls whether or not the nntp
service is allowed to run.

After all that you will want to make sure that this file exists.
  /var/spool/news/leaf.node/groupinfo
It should be owned by news.news and be chmod'd 664.

Next, in a terminal as root issue this command to get the whole thing going
started:

        fetchnews -vv

The two "vv" as the argument for fetchnews will supply you with verbose
level 2 reporting of what fetchnews is doing. The first it will do is fetch
the group listing from your upstream news server. Most likely source is your
ISP's newsserver which is what I use. And one other.

The rest is pretty much a no brainer.

--
daRcmaTTeR
If at first you don't succeed do what your wife told you to do

Registered Linux User 182496
  7:05am  up 12 days,  8:45,  3 users,  load average: 0.64, 0.48, 0.28