George Czerw wrote:

> I did an upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 to a Cooker 8.2 and recently to the final
> 8.2.  While the supermount is working with the floppy drive, as a user I
> get the following error when I try to read either of my CD-R or CD-RW
> drives:
>
> Could not mount device.
> The reported error was:
>
> mount: according to mtab, none is already mounted on /mnt/cdrom2
> mount failed
>
> My FSTAB and MTAB entries are shown below:
>
> FSTAB
> *********
> none    /mnt/cdrom      supermount
>
>fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/scd0,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,ro,nosuid,codepage=850,nodev,exec
> 0 0
> none    /mnt/cdrom2     supermount
>
>fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/scd1,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,ro,nosuid,codepage=850,nodev,exec
> 0 0
> none    /mnt/floppy     supermount
>
>fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,rw,nosuid,exec,codepage=850,nodev,unhide
> 0 0
>
> If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, let me know.
>
> George

George, your fstab lines for mounting cdrom, cdrom2 (and floppy,
although you say it is working) look suspicious. They are in fact
telling the os to mount "none", and this seems to be the error msg you
are getting too (smart errror msg: it is telling us exactly what the
problem is).

The fstab lines should read "/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount
all-the-options-presently-in-your-lines".
(notice that "none" has be replaced with "/mnt/cdrom" and "none" should
be replaced with "/mntcdrom2" and "/mnt/floppy" in the next two fstab
lines too. Then reboot and mtab should reflect these values too.)

Can you see the logic? Give this a go, and let me know if we have
surmounted the "supermount" issue.

--
J. Craig Woods
UNIX/NT Network/System Administration