Do you know how the power-down thing works? I'd like to diagnose the problem,
isolate just what tells the motherboard to cut power, but I can't find
information about it anywhere.

I don't THINK any processes or mounts are hanging and keeping it running. I
can't find a shutdown log. The drives most certainly spin down once the Power
Down message appears.

It's strange because dual-booting into Win2K does the same thing (power down
drives but leave mb running). But previous Mandrake releases shut the system
off just fine.

-- j