i get this on 8.1 as well, its a RealPlayer Bug that has not been fixed,
it relates to access to the sound card i think.

if you kill it and load again it usually works, or make sure you have
not got xmms loaded at the same time as well, mplayer has this problem
as well.

or try their realOne beta at

1) Goto http://scopes.real.com/real/player/unix/unix.html
2) Fill in the form and Choose Linux 2.x (libc6 i386).
3) click on "Download Community Supported Player"
4) Don't click on the normal download links. Go look at the very
bottom of the page. You will see

" RealOne Player for Unix - Preview Release
If you would like to try the alpha version of RealOne Player for
Linux 2.2 x86, use the button below."

5) Click on that button and download.

origional
http://proforma.real.com/real/player/unix/unix.html?src=downloadr,000814rpchoice_c1