I found my problem.  After booting the "rescue" from the CD, and using it
to reading the "yaboot" man page (where it repeatedly pointed out that the
Apple_Boot "bootstrap" partition should _not_ be mounted on the /boot mount
point) I realized that I should not have made a mountpoint (especially not
/boot) for the bootstrap partition.

Once I cleared that up, everything went swimmingly.

Question:  There does not seem to be any way of reading the Mandrake Linux
man pages except by successfully getting it up and running on a computer.
It would be nice if they were available as PDF's or something from the
MandrakeLinux web site...

Has this already been done and I'm just too blind to find it?

Enjoy!

Rick