On Fri, 2002-03-29 at 20:28, Bill Wagner wrote:

> I've got a remote production 8.0 box that I'd like to upgrade to 8.2 but I'm
> quite reluctant to touch.  To do a test run, I've got an 8.0 vmware install
> locally, but when I run live_update, I run into all kinds of errors.  Here's
> what I get:

Bill, you're headed into a rat's nest.  I'd recommend doing a fresh
install with data migration.

I've had to do this in the past.  Back in the days when they actually
taught you how to think instead of what to think, we were taught to
never, ever take a production system offline for replacement.  The
correct "war games" scenario is to duplicate (parallel) you hardware (or
functionality) in another box for the purpose of housing the new distro
installation. This is so that you can get your drivers in place
correctly and in identical fashion, then do a data/configuration
migration across the net to this duplicate box without gaining a bunch
of downtime.  Hardware is real cheap these days in comparison to the
cost of downtime or your job.

Anyways, you test the new box to make sure it's duplicating the
functionality of the old box perfectly.  Then, after a final data
update, you switch.  With the legwork already done, your downtime could
be less than 1 minute.

The real beauty part is that you keep the old box around in case
something flubs with the new box; at least for a few weeks or so, or
however long it takes for you to feel comfortable.  The old box is your
backup/insurance in case the new install freaks.

You mess with a production box and no backup, you asking for trouble.
Plus you mess with production box and the "upgrade" approach, and you
REALLY asking for it.  I recommend the "war games" scenario above,
adapted to a plan of your own that will CYA.

Good luck,

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.8-26mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.1