-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Lyvim Xaphir
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 12:13 PM
To: ExpertMandrake-List
Subject: Re: [expert] Re: linuxconf or webmin?

On Tue, 2002-04-02 at 12:44, J. Craig Woods wrote:

> BTW, I wouldn't use either one of them. They both have a history of
> screwing up config files. As long as you have CLI, and editors, such as
> vi or pico, learn to do do admin the way it is meant to be done. One
> very late night, when the server is remotely located miles away, and you
> just want to finish your work, you will appreciate what I am saying.
>
> (Hey, you asked for opinions, and you get opinions)
>
> --
> J. Craig Woods
> UNIX/NT Network/System Administration

I have to agree with Craig regarding the CLI.  The command line is the
lowest common denominator when it comes to administration; that implies
that the greatest power and leverage lies at that level.  GUI based
interfaces are good for a quick solution sometimes, IF their history is
one of reliability.  My experiences regarding linuxconf have mirrored
Craig's in that my config files have been foobarred.  That admittedly
was a year ago; but the bottom line is still and always will be the
least common denominator.  Which is the CLI.

There are always exceptions to the rule. Mandrake Control Center has
been singulary impressive. Kudos Mandrake....but the GUI incurs an
additional penalty that no one seems to realize except the
ignorant-user-savvy MicroSoft Corporation.  And that is, simply, it
divides the user from the CLI and weakens them in that regard.  How? By
just giving you an avenue that you don't have to create new neural
pathways for in order to handle.  So the learning curve gets shorter and
more shallow, but the user's power is greatly curtailed.  M$ wants this
because their interface is more akin to heroin for ignorant users than
it is a teaching tool.  And addiction is exactly what they are after.

IF you have the willpower to force yourself onto the command line
continually in order to fully grok all the commands and config file
syntaxes that you need to have in order to be a true CLI administrator,
then the GUI is for you also.  However, if you find yourself leaning
towards the GUI because you gravitate away from onerous long and steep
mental learning curves, then you need to do away with the GUI
functionality until your CLI habits and mentalities are established.

One more opinion thrown out there... ;P

Cheers,

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.8-26mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.1