Charles A Edwards wrote:

> > Something of a related question:
> >
> > I've built all my current machines but always had questions about the
> > orientation of the chassis fans. I usually put two extras in, one at the
> > front of the case and one at the back under the power supply. Normally I
> > have the front fan blowing the same direction as the PS. I.e., the front
> > blows in, the PS fan blows out. What do you do for the second chassis
> > fan at the rear? I usually have it blow in the same direction as the PS
> > fan, but I've since heard that this is a bad thing.
> >

> I have always held the view that all front mounted fans and all side mounted fans,
>if used as drive bay coolers, should blow into the case.
> Rear mounted fans and side  mounted fans, if used for aux CPU cooling, should be
>used as exhaust and blow out.
>
>    Charles

The idea of fans is to take heat out of the case. the more air flow
,both in and out of the case will improve cooling. these are
self-evident. as long as you don't create more heat in the process (
like by having a fan that generates more heat than it can take away )
the greater the amount of air that equally goes in and out will increase
the cooling inside the case. as an example I  have a central heat and
air blower mounted in an outside building, which blows into the case
from the bottom and exits through the side. depending on the air temp
the cpu stays anywhere from 30 to 70 degrees F.
It blows  at an est. 650 cfm. ( YMMV ) a big fan (80-120 mm) on the side
blowing in on the cpu and a bigger fan blowing out the top or back
should do very well. a couple of extra 60mm fans blowing on other key
parts wouldn't hurt either. just make sure thay remove alot more heat
than they make.

Just my thoughts on it .

Mike McNeese