Did you maybe uninstall KDE2 first?  Your existing KDE apps need the libraries for
KDE2 since that is what they were compiled for.  I used the texstar rpms.  I
downloaded them to a directory and then as root did a rpm -uvh * and they installed
fine (I did rename .kde to .kde_old and then ran menudrake after KDE3 booted to
restore the menus).  This process left the required libraries needed for existing KDE
apps to run.

If you think it is just the menus that are messed up, run menudrake and just save the
menu structures.

Joe