Rick,

I just tried "modprobe cs4232" and it worked.  I got cs4232 from the
hardware list in the Mandrake control center: if you click on an item
it shows you which kernel module it requires.

I *guess* that my card happens to be set to the default IRQ/DMA/IO.  I
*guess* that the kernel module can't change these or figure out what
they are (if it was a PCI card it would be no problem).  It seems that
isapnp has the responsibility for that, and that's where the problem
seems to be.  Looking in /proc, here are the settings of my card:
Int 7
DMA 1 and 3
I/O 0x524

If you've got Windows on the same machine, you can check what the
settings are there, then do a soft boot into linux and try to load the
module while specifying the settings, something like:

modprobe -k cs4232 io=0x220 irq=7 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

You can check if the module is loaded with lsmod.  If it loaded OK,
and you're still getting no sound, then I'd guess that you have to
look elsewhere for the problem.

If you get it to load, then you maybe can make a permanent change by
adding something like this to /etc/modules.conf:

alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
options cs4232 io=0x220 irq=7 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

I have to emphasize that I'm really just blundering around here.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can provide a more definite
answer.

good luck,
Eric

--