-----Original Message-----
From: civileme [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 09 April 2002 20:27
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Mandrake and msproxy

Tony S. Sykes wrote:

> I am using Mandrake 8.1 behind a ms proxy server. How do I get it to
> authenticate my user ID and password to allow me out onto the net?
>
> < behavior="slide" direction="down" id="Marquee1" loop="1"
> scrollamount="1" scrolldelay="20" style="height: 27px; width: 300px;"
> truespeed="" border="2">
> < behavior="slide" direction="up" height="56" id="Marquee2" loop="1"
> scrollamount="2" scrolldelay="45" width="218" border="0">
> * Best Regards,*
>
> **
>
> *Tony Sykes.*
>

> < behavior="slide" direction="up" id="Marquee6" loop="1"
> scrollamount="1" scrolldelay="45" style="height: 31px; width: 240px;"
> truespeed="" border="0">
>
> Support Analyst
> *Business Computer Projects Ltd*
>

> < behavior="slide" id="Marquee3" loop="1" scrollamount="1"
> scrolldelay="5" style="font-size: 10pt; height: 17px; width: 142px;"
> truespeed="" border="0">
> Tel: 0161 355 3000
>
> Fax: 0161 355 3001
>

> < behavior="slide" id="Marquee4" loop="1" scrollamount="1"
> scrolldelay="5" style="font-size: 10pt; height: 18px; width: 152px;"
> truespeed="" border="0">
> Web: www.bcpsoftware.com <http://www.bcpsoftware.com/>
>

> < behavior="slide" direction="down" id="Marquee5" loop="1"
> scrollamount="1" scrolldelay="20" style="height: 21px; width: 300px;"
> border="2">
>

>-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Business Computer Projects - Disclaimer -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
>
>This message, and any associated attachment is confidential.  If you
>
>have received it in error, please delete it from your system, do not
>
>use or disclose the information in any way, and notify me immediately.
>
>The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not
necessarily the views of Business Computer Projects Ltd, unless
specifically stated.

>Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that emails and their
attachments are virus free, it is the responsibility of the recipient(s)
to verify the integrity of such emails.

> Business Computer Projects Ltd
>
> BCP House
>
> 151 Charles Street
>
> Stockport
>
> Cheshire
>
> SK1 3JY
>
> Tel: +44 (0)161 355-3000
>
> Fax: +44 (0)161 355-3001
>
> Web: http://www.bcpsoftware.com

Well, if you were using MandrakeSecurity Single Network Firewall to
protect a Windows Workstation I could answer; however, I believe
Microsoft is keeping the authentication process secret to prevent the
use of competing platforms.

The password encryption employed by Microsoft has a number of articles
on the net about how it can be decoded, and perhaps a few on how it can
be encoded.  Samba does nicely in keeping up with the CIFS password
encryption, but the authentication on the proxy server, IIRC, is
supposed to detect Microsoft platforms, just like their own version of
Kerberos.

May I suggest asking this question on the expert list?  More SAs  are on
that list who may have had the same experience, though most of them
probably put linux on the server first.

Civileme

Civileme