Sorry if this is a repeat. I posted it yesterday, but it never came
back to me.

-----

When I couldn't get my brand-new Visor to sync, I went back and read the
threads on USB and Visor syncing, especially the stuff related to devfs,
and thought that by following the instructions I had solved my problems,
since the Visor started to sync properly.

However, I found that it will sync a grand total of 16 times, and after
that syncing appears to stop.

Here's the setup, garnered from the prior posts:

0. Using LM8.1. I have never used USB with Linux before, so this is my
first foray into new territory.

1. I have turned off devfs at boot time

2. The default USB devicde is /dev/visor, which is linked to
/dev/usb/ttyUSB1

3. The first 16 attempts to sync (with jpilot) all worked.

4. All attenpts after the first 16 (using jpilot and gnome-pilot) fail.

5. Pressing the hotsync button causes a message to appear on the Visor
(after a while) that says that communication could not be established
with the desktop.

6. jpilot gives the error message:
  pi_bind illegal seek
  Check your serial port and settings.
  If you use a USB pilot press the Hotsync
  button before and repush the button Sync
exiting with status -10

7. Pressing various combinations of the hotsync button the cradle and
the sync button in jpilot always seems to give the above error, no
matter what order I do them in.

8. gnome-pilot doesn't give an error; it just seems to sit there
waiting forever.

9. When it was working (the first 16 times), I would see a message
"Handspring Visor convertor now attached to ttyUSB0" and "Handspring
Visor convertor now attached to ttyUSB1" in the system log; after use I
would see "USB disconnect on device <n>", where <n> incremented by one
each time, each time the sync was complete. The highest value of <n>
was 16. Now that it has stopped working, I no longer see the "now
attached" messages. So I am pretty sure that this is a USB issue. I
know nothing about USB, but it looks like there is some limit of 16
devices that may be used and for some reason the computer now thinks
that all 16 are in use.

Does anyone have clues? I would really hate to have to admit defeat and
use a Windoze box to sync the Visor.

  Doc Evans

Phone:  +1 303 494 0394
Mobile: +1 720 839 8462