On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:28:48 -0600 Frederick Gleicher
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Pierre:
>
> Thanks for the tip, I will check into that. I need to get other things
> done right now, and will get back to this list later. Is the memory leak
> in kppp or the pppd ? When I dial into this linux server remotely, I use
> both linux and windows clients.

When you click on the KDE Internet icon, you get user owned kppp, which
invokes a root owned kppp which fires up pppd...  It's the user owned kppp
that leaks...  I believe the leak is related to the graphing; if you turn
graphing off, the leak is not as bad, though still there.  I haven't had
time to dig into it; but I suspect it may be related to the debug logging,
even when debug is not enabled.  The clue is that there is a minimal log
posted if the modem drops and offers to enable debugging.

One of my remote users does this:
- kppp to start connection
- as root: "killall -9 kppp" to avoid leak
-          "killall -9 pppd" (or power off modem) when done

Since reverting to her internal modem, she was unable to power off the
modem and the kill -9 (pppd will not terminate on kill -15...) once left
the modem online...  had to talk her through using minicom and "+++ath"...

HTH,
Pierre