Doug Gough wrote:

>On the older promise cards, you had to pass some parameters to the kernel at
>boot time. If you download the FastTrak66 Red Hat Linux Driver from thier
>site, and untar it, you will find some readme files that explain what these
>parameters are. I don't know if it will work for you, but it's worth a try.
>
>Doug Gough

No

Promise might make available a driver for Mandrake, but that is their
affair.

The IDE RAID claimed to be hardware and actually a BIOS extension is
unnecessary for linux to run a RAID, since the Linux Software RAID is
far more robust and flexible.

It is possible with the current kernel to read WinRAID partitions, and
Making Windows IDE RAIDs is precisely what that board is good for.

But the ATA133 driver from Promise for Linux kernel (and therefore all
distros) is buggy.  A revision has been released by Promise, and will be
incorporated in a kernel update that will be available as the product
hits the shelves, but it still won't use the RAID controller for RAID
creation under linux.

That is because the RAID controller is a PROM that extends the BIOS
calls to make RAID0 RAID1 and RAID0+1 possible.  It is software,
proprietary and secret, in a hardware guise.

If you want real hardware IDE RAID, look at arco or at the Promise
Supertrak, which have real hardware.  The Arco controller is OS
independent and totally transparent--just looks like a single disk to
the OS.  The Supertrak has a GPLed linux driver from Promise...
 probably because it is real hardware and there is no IP to protect by
keeping the driver secret.

Civileme