Hi *,

I am seeking a little advice from people who are using leafnode (on
Mandrake 8.1). Anyhow, if there's a better list I can try there, but
I've gotten one or two OK replies from people here, and there are
other issues.

A little background - I've managed (smaller) news feeds over UUCP
links with CNews before, and have looked at INN but have never
gotten it to work. Leafnode seems to fit the bill except for some
rather intriguing problems - it's pulling down all the groups on
my news server, for one. That's not all that bad; I've set limits
on certain groups, especially the binaries groups -- I have it
set to reject big articles and articles crossposted into too
many groups.

It runs pretty well (in a 5 gig reiserfs partition) except when
the space is low. Right now I have about 8 megs free of that
5 gig space. Once in a while I have to kick it, either my /var
fills up (the log files are pretty big) or run a manual
texpire.

But the biggest problem is the insane (I've seen it as high as 55!)
load averages when leafnode does this - there are 50 or more copies
of it running under conditions such as these. Often, fetchnews and/or
leafnode processe consume prodigious amounts of RAM and swap (I have
256 megs of RAM). So much that I've done some reorganization here
and my (old) 500 meg /var partition was turned to an additional area
of swap (total about 700+ megs). Even so, I've come dangerously
close to running out of available RAM and swap.

My basic questions are whether others had noticed this before, and
if there is a way to fix it. Of couse, adding more disk spacee and/or
RAM seems to be the solution, but I can't do that right now although
adding another 1/2 gig of RAM is worth looking into because RAM is
cheap (is it still?) right now.

But even so, I figure if I did that, leafnode/fetchnews would just grow
to consume all the new resources too.

Any better ideas? If I had  more disk space I might be able to section
off part of the spool elsewhere, as I did when running Cnews, using
symlinks, but the message id structure in leafnode makes that impossible.

Also is there a way to reserve block percentages with reiserfs the way
there is with ext2/ext3? By default 5% is reserved for root in ext2,
but is that the case with reiserfs?